We rear Native Irish Black Queen Bees (Apis mellifera mellifera).
Native Irish Honey Bees are under threat due to hybridisation with foreign strains of honey bee.
Why are Native Honey Bees Important?
– Known as ‘Black Bees’ due to appearance, but colouration may vary
– Naturally adapted to the Irish climate
– Can be very docile with low swarming tendencies
– They are ideal for Irish honey production
– Excellent at sparing their stores during bad weather
– Can fly at lower temperatures
– Good honey producers, even in poor weather conditions
– Genetically diverse populations in Ireland
For more information about the Native Irish Honey Bee, visit http://www.nihbs.org